Didn’t Ingress much today, just got out of the house for a little bit. It was worth it though – I managed to make a new record sized control field (5,038 MU) over Saugus/Canyon Country.
When I started playing Ingress, I was extremely frustrated. It was only luck that got me past the first hurdles and more into the game. But it turns out that Niantic / Google has produced very high quality video guides to the game.
I’m not a big video watching person. But most people are. These would be very helpful for anyone trying to get started and figure out the game.
Beginner’s guide to Ingress – I would have benefitted from watching this first, before playing more of the game.
A Better Beginner’s guide – Ah. I love that first woman’s voice, she sounds Scottish. I think this is older than the first one.
Me, I’ll again share what I think every new agent needs to know.
- Join the Resistance!
- You must go to the portals you’ve looked up on the Ingress Intel map. Ignore any advice about wandering around until you find one.
- Do not play while the car is moving, and learn just how the speedlock feature works. The game is best played walking, but you can only walk so far.
- Make links. You get good AP for that.
- Make control fields. Smallest is best, actually, until you’re level 8. Fields generate tons of AP.
- Hack everything. Hack all the time. There’s no such thing as too much equipment.
- Make contact with the other agents.
- Accept help. People really do just want to help you. It’s a team game. By the same token, feel free to help others out.